Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Barter Marketplace

So, I've been hemming and haa-ing about this whole barter idea for a while and a little nudge nudge from a fellow blogger prompted me to finally dive in. I love the idea of getting a little crafty alternative economy going. And, I thought it might work like this.

1) If you are interested, post what you are interested in making for others (or just tell me with a photo or two of the item)
2) Everyone can view what others are interested in making and strike up barter bargains with eachother (or work through me, though it will definitely be faster to go through eachother). Really think about what you have made and what it is worth in a barter exchange. 'Cause I think one could resent it if they worked on hard on something and then it wasn't exchanged in kind, ya know?
3) I will add links to all of it on my sidebar so you can reference all the option at any time
4) Then we make what the other wants, ship it off and wait for our barter item in return.
5) If you don't really know what you want to make, look at what others are offering and decide what it is worth in exchange or ask someone what they might like of the things that you make.

So, let's say you make great children's apron, for example, or adorable little baby hats, or crayon rolls, or whatever else but you would love a cute little bag....it's a barter!

I do want to add a few things, a project like this could be overwhelming so don't be afraid to limit your barters and don't be offended if someone says no to your barter offer. (Unless, of course,I end up doing this alone.) Also, every item will have a few errors and a little extra *love* worked into it. This is great! It's handmade!

I already know what I want. My next post will be options for my barter items. I'm so excited (yes, again). Now, please do join in or I will really feel like I am talking to myself. And, don't be afraid to join. Beginner sewers, knitters, crafters are definitely welcome...I am speaking to you, Grossman.

12 comments:

Julie said...

Doh! I read through this thinking, "She's so awesom and brave and I could never... well maybe I will... no this isn't for me... DOH!" Allow me to sleep on this.

mary frances said...

I love it! I'll work up a post with some items and try to invite others.

Little C and Little J said...

Yeah! Bring it on Mama-Pan.

Beth said...

I'm in. Check my post from today for details. Thanks for setting this up, and sorry it took me awhile to post about it.

Dina said...

What a great idea this is. I like it where you said that there will probably be a little error plus extra love in each item !! Handmade is great !! Well done .

p.s. I came through capers and olives , please to meet you :)

Vertuta The Re-PSY-cler said...

great idea!
can it be an already finished item to trade? or ut's gonna be more like a custom order?

Katemonster23 said...

I've already have something in mind! I will see if I can get a picture for you.

~Heather said...

Found you via Elsie Marley...
Does it have to be fabric-yarn kind of crafty, or are items like baked goods or lotions ok? My sewing skills are ragged around the edges but I have some other skills up my sleeve! ~H

Little C and Little J said...

Love hearing from so many new people interested in the barter!! I'd love to do another round (three of us already did an exchange about a month ago.) Let me know (mmquaal [at] yahoo [dot] com, and we will get one started.

Tammy said...

I found you through Elsie Marlie and I think this is such an awesome idea. Gonna tweet your blog, cause this just sounds SO COOL!

mary frances said...

ooooh, so cool that more people are joining on! way to go, M! feel free to check out my marketplace, everyone (<> link in Melissa's sidebar).

Jessica said...

This sounds interesting... I'm thinking I might just barter little girls dresses for raw materials... or patterns... Especially some of the AWESOME indie patterns out there that I can't afford.