Monday, June 30, 2008

Favorite Project - Bad Photo

Sorry for the delay in posting. A lost camera cord, a camping weekend and whiny toddlers are to blame. Here is a bad photo of my favorite WIP for 2008. Melissa, you caught me mid-year...we'll have to do this again at the end of December and see where we're at! I purchased the fabric during a trip to the finger lakes region of New York last summer when I was in a friend's wedding. I cut the squares last fall and pieced it in January - when there was nothing but snow on the ground here. I love the way the colors play off eachother. It is a crib size, but I think it would make a nice lap quilt for the living or sun room.

Now for the confession - I haven't the faintest idea how to actually quilt. This quilt top has been folded on a shelf for the past 6 months - a shame if you ask me. For some reason I love, love, love fabric, cutting and piecing tops but I am totally scared to actually quilt the darn thing. I guess I feel that I don't know what I am doing. Any advice or tips that you can share would be awesome. I tried to do some quilting on a wall hanging, but I am not too happy with the results. I don't like the way the quilting lines distorted the quilt design. Maybe I should try quilting in the ditch instead? A different color thread? Or go for a larger overall pattern? But if I do that, how do I actually do it on a regular sewing machine without it getting all bunched up and out of place? Whew...so many questions. I guess that's what happens when you try something new.

1 comment:

Little C and Little J said...

Oh! I LOVE it the colors are so fantastic, I love that they look so washed and cuddly, perfect for a crib. On the quilting questions...the truth I don't like 'quilting' either. The fun part is picking colors and sewing them together. Argh. I always just kind of go for it with small straight stiches and they do bunch up and I just try and ignore it. The wall hanging looks IMPECCABLE, seriously it is amazing. I think you are way ahead of the game.