Wednesday, August 26, 2009

34.

Turned 34 last week, and frankly I feel 34. Not necessarily in a bad way but as in I hear the number 34 and I think about where my life is at and I say to myself, "Yeah, that sounds about right." It's nice, really. In some ways my birthday gift wishes were a huge part of what made the 34 sounds so fitting. What I really, really wanted was to visit a fancy fabric shop and get some time alone to go nuts. And, I did that...at Spool in Philadelphia.


I splurged on some adorable minny muu fat quarters, some Laura Gunn fabric just because I think it is so amazing and fell in love with the fabrics below:


Now, I haven't been making many quilts lately and didn't have any plans to make any but these prints were calling my name and also saying "make a quilt out of me! i'm fun and would help decorate a toddler bed when the day comes!". It is so hard to find fabric that suits boys and these prints are so playful I couldn't resist. The designer was Jay McCarroll and I thought the name sounded familiar so when I got home I googled it. Guess what! It is Jay McCarroll the winner from Project Runway. Oh yeah, he designed this super fun, boyish but sweet fabric for Free Spirit. And, he has a website. It does help explain why the fabric has shrooms on it! So, there you have it. I now have plans to start a quilt to help the little man have sweet dreams.

I had also mentioned in passing to my mother that I was kinda, sorta interested in someday having a serger sewing machine. I really expected this to arrive in about five years BUT a Brother 1034D serger interlock machine was at my doorstep on my birthday. Hello future. So, now I have to figure out how to use the darn thing. Threading it is a bugger, even with the instructional DVD. It might be a slow process but I'm excited to figure it all out.

Now, I'm not complaining but I would like to provide the following story to illustrate what exactly children do to your life: When I turned thirty I spent the day gallavanting around New York City with a half dozen friends and the night eating pizza and singing "Total Eclipse of the Heart" in a karoake bar somewhere in Manhattan. At 34 I'm in bed by 10pm dreaming of fabric shops and serger machines. Hmm. I suppose it all equals out, what I save on drinks I'm spending on fat quarters.

1 comment:

emilyg123 said...

: ) i'm glad you had a good birthday. love hearing about it.