Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Thing

I have to come to terms with the fact that I just have a thing for table runners. Despite this debacle I'm back at it, making another one. I do like this one alot more, however. And, it's construction is happening the way I prefer it to happen. No real plan, no pattern. Just starting with one portion, then setting it down, mulling it over, and starting with the next.
The green linen bits are vintage from beautiful living on etsy. They are 4 X 6 inches and have little whispers of queen anne's lace peeking in on them...a stem here, a flower there. I should say they were my true inspiration for this. I bought them on a whim and it was pondering what to do with them. I threw in the bits and pieces of luscious natural linen I have and then I ran across this free pdf on Sew Mama Sew for embroidery of a Queen Anne's Lace, it was great timing. But the image didn't quite fit right and wasn't long enough and that is when I realized...embroidery is little more than stitching up an image in embroidery floss. It doesn't have to be a prescribed image. So, I drew my own with inspiration from SMS. That wasn't the hard part. The actual embroidery is trickier (for me, as a beginner). So, I'm stitching and stitching now.
But, it's a happy stitching. I feel like I've been following other people's patterns and designs alot this summer and I kind of missed just going with my own idea, even if it ends up imperfect. And, the stitching seems a great way to greet autumn. I should probably learn to appreciate summer more but I'm always truly happy to see August pack it up and to feel chilly winds start to blow. Happy September.

Speaking of changes, in a distant way at least, I'm a little tired of my usual crafty blogs. I mostly check Angry Chicken, Soulemama, and Sew Mama Sew's blog and I love them all dearly but are there others that people check on a regular basis that you really like? Send them my way if you get a minute, I'm in need of other blog voices right now.

I should add that I also obsessively check at the end of this row, capers and olives, and ten finger workshop but they already know that!

6 comments:

Lise said...

This is beautiful! I had downloaded that pattern, too, but have yet to get to it. I love your white-on-white version.

Lise said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Yes, it totally felt like stealing! I couldn't believe I'd found such a treasure. She also had beautiful baby-clothes patterns from the 40s, but I knew I wasn't up to those, so I left them for someone else. Almost wish I'd gotten them just for display.

mary frances said...

yay for embroidery! For some reason it's a medium where improvisation doesn't intimidate me nearly as much as say, knitting. I guess it seems easier to change as I go along/incorporate mistakes, more like sketching (which DOES intimidate me, go figure).

For crafty blogs--I really love All Buttoned Up, katydid, elsie marley, house on hill road. They update a little less frequently than the ones you've mentioned, but I really love their individual aesthetics and writing voices. You'll have to google them but they should come up... I'm also a big fan of cjanerun as a writing/mommy blog. And I recently (through a soulemama link) found CheckoutGirl, which appeals to me because of her "recovering academic" bent--ah, how I wish I was recovering instead of digging myself further in :o)

Little C and Little J said...

Great blogs! I already loved elsie and all buttoned up but katydid and house on a hill are making me really happy. It's true about the embroidery, isn't it. Hmm...

Juniper said...

Oh love the queen anns lace you are embroidering, nice choice and I like the white on white as well!
Other blogs that are worth checking - (I seem to fluctuate between checking design, food and photography blogs) I like this woman's blog alot-
http://thehabitofbeing.blogspot.com/, and this http://www.nordljus.co.uk/and this one - http://cafecartolina.blogspot.com/

Little C and Little J said...

Fantastic blogs, Jupe! Thank you. Ah, the gorgeousness.