Monday, March 14, 2011

Star-Shaped Deodorant

I've been making deodorant from this recipe for a while now and I really like it. The only problem is that I was pouring the mixture into a baby jar and then having to scrape out the deodorant from the bottom to apply it (it cools to a solid in the fridge). It got pretty tedious. I saw a post on Amy Karol's blog about using a cupcake tin to shape it into pucks but didn't want to use my cupcake tin for this purpose. I'd rather continue to feel my cupcake tin was food safe, you know? Then, I was going through things hidden deep in the basement (I'm still working on a major de-cluttering) and came across a star ice cube tray that was silicone and I'm sure we are never going to use it for ice cubes so I gave it a shot. I love it so far! Easy to use and I can even break of a little star-arm if I need to! I realize that having deodorant handmade in interesting shapes might tip me over the edge of something...into a category of some kind of oddness but I reassure you I'm basically the same person I was before I got really excited about shaping my deodorant. Honest.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried that deodorant-in-a-jar thing for a while before deciding that it was not as, um, effective as I would like. (OK, the people around me decided it.) Do you find it works well? What recipe do you use?

mary frances said...

ha! I love it. though it seems like heart-shaped might conform more easily to the shape of one's underarms...

Little C and Little J said...

Mary Frances! It does conform to the arm better. You are right on. SeasaSerging, I don't know about how effective. I think it works, no one complains but I'm not super stinky to begin with. The recipe is from the emailorder #11 from Amy Karol's blog, Angry Chicken.