Monday, March 21, 2011

Book Reports--Due Monday: Simple Sewing

Another Monday book report! Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing.

Things I like about this book: This book is billed as 'simple' because its projects do not involve anything complicated like a zipper; the patterns and instructions are clear and straightforward; and most of the projects can be completed in a short period of time without the need for any obscure supplies. And, so far, I agree that it lives up to its promises. The projects (and pictures) are also characteristically Lotta Jansdotter with elegant design and a clean aesthetic. Many are playful and inspiring...this is another book that makes me want to sew. I have made seven projects from this book, I'm particularly fond of this apron that I use all the time. And, I have marked several other projects to make in the future.

Things I do not like about this book: One thing I find a little annoying about the book is that many of the projects look so beautiful and appealing because they are made in Lotta's own line of fabric, which is no longer available for sale. I'm not one to replicate a project exactly but I would love to make some of the things in the book from her actual fabric because the design is so nice. That's not really a critique of the book, though. I also found the sunhat pattern to have a ridiculously wide brim. And, some of the project ideas seem very cool in Sweden but not so cool in the U.S. Like her side-of-the-bed organizer would just look tacky in my house but somehow the Swedes make things like this look hip. Again...I'm really just highlighting my own issues here...not the book.

Final Grade: B+ for clean, beautiful projects with just a few glitches.

1 comment:

mary frances said...

I have to laugh about your comment on the side-of-bed organizer... it's so true--in the states we have the same thing, only it's one of those "As Seen on TV" infomercial products and meant to stick out of the side of an enormous la-z-boy.